“Who” Takeaways

  • #1 problem is not what to do, but who to hire
  • finding A players means maintaining a high bar
  • A players aren’t just super stars, their right super stars for the job needs to be done. An A player needs to have a 90% chance delivering on what only 10% of possible hires could accomplish
  • a bad hire on has an invisible 15x cost
  • differences in returns from A and B CEO in private equity firms is an order of magnitude
  • GHSMART Method: 1) Scorecard. Set out of outcomes and competencies you expect a person to have. 2) Source. Ensures you have qualified candidates when you need them. 3) Select. Structured interview process to evaluate against score card and avoid bad practices. 4) Sell.
  • scorecard consists of mission, outcomes, and competencies
  • mission: if the mission is clear, no one has to ask clarifying questions
  • mission: generalists can point out problems but specialists are best to solve them. Generalists means vague mission statement
  • mission: right people right time right place right skill set
  • outcomes: 3-8 listed in order of importance
  • competencies: