Mark Hansen. programming & designing Upsolve
When I present myself and journey of learning, work, acceptance I often fall into a single chapter.
"In the church I come from - which is not at all the same church to which white Americans belong - we were counseled, from time to time, to do our first works over. Go back to where you started, or as far back as you can, examine all of it, travel your road again and tell the truth about it. Sing or shout or testify or keep it yourself but know whence you came."106 Days Ago
I hate that self-interest is as true as a law as the laws of gravity.
- #1 problem is not what to do, but who to hire
- finding A players means maintaining a high bar
- A players aren’t just super stars, their right super stars for the job needs to be done.
- Truth telling is a form of reparations
- 50 years later, a lynching was still vivid in a community’s mind and stopping them from registering to vote.
Thank you for creating a place that aligns my mind and soul with ever visit.
I feel like I’ve been short circuiting my emotions.
- “All to often when there is mass unemployment in the black community, its referred to as a social problem and when there’s mass unemployment in the white community it’s referred to as a depression”
Transitioning between the world we were given and the world we built does to me what a sword smith does.
I often think I curse too much and probably could be presenting myself in a more “proper” way.
The “this is the last time” phrase of addiction feels like the same phrase I tell myself about behavioral and mental patterns.
It’s easy for me to recognize patterns of physical harm and adjust my behavior.
In negotiation, when one party is operating with timeline needs, and the other party is not and has the means to sustain, they have leverage and incentive to squeeze resources out of the time-constrai
Was thinking about this Octavia Butler quote and climate change:
“Civilization is to groups what intelligence is to individuals.
It’s amazing what shit sticks with you.
I’m 28 right now and for as long as I can remember I’ve wanted to do everything without help.
Upsolve found a business model to serve 20 mil people.
How do I stop with the same patterns of conversation topics and thoughts.
All our actions no matter how small are defining societal culture, so we should think of this as opportunities to make change .
Was thinking about my experience building for gov and how improvements made are unrecognized or uncared for if they’re not able to be utilized by some individual in that system.
Coming into reading this book, I’ve been challenged in how I think about management and hierarchy.
- “I sit on a mans back choking him making him carry me, and yet I assure myself and all others that I feel sorry for him and that I’ll lighten his load by all means possible.
Why an ebb and flow of intensity for learning and doing and why is there always an underlying anxiety churning.
Writing this months later but just wanted to mark the day so I can come back and reflect.
- “natural selection isn’t individual, but mutual — that species only survive if they learn to be in community.
Both presented to their respective communities a way to dig deeper for solutions.
It’d be fun to think how pattern recognition tech could be countered.
I wonder how you push back easily against tech giants that try to say their technical systems are too tethered to be separated.
Heard lighter skinned folks are 5% more likely to be detected by autonomous vehicles than darker skinned folks and it made me think about the cars I see driving around Mountain View created by Google
Realizing the need to push for mental health and other values now that I’m in a space that maybe doesn’t hold those as high.
How do you judge the impact of Dada vs.
I never before wanted someone to see something so badly.
I guess sometimes it’s straight up lack of nutrition or over-caffeination lol but also maybe it’s because I enter conversations with a different goals.
- “no shortcuts to knowledge, especially that from personal experience.
Realizing that I’ve always felt a really deep compassion for people, but never let it show or made it a strong part of who I am.
Not sure why I’ve had a shifting feeling and mindset that the world is malleable and that it’s possible to shift and mold it.
When Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Uber, Airbnb, or any other company subsidizing its services with other businesses or Series D+ investment begin to tighten their grip, what does America look
Pact to never take a plane again.
- Beat the drums of justice
- We give more comfort, mindfulness, and help to people on the day of their execution than we do their life before
- The legal systems formality distances us from its cruel
- Communication born out necessity.
I don’t know how you present a message and vision for the country as well as a set of policies to deal with white male rage.
It’s a shame that I can’t look at a red hat now and think it’s just a baseball team cap.
Was listening to a brief talk by a CEO focused on automated assistants and he spoke of abundance like itd be a cure all.
Histories, geographies, past generations, stories, our communities, and more give us the patterns see the world through.
- Collapse the distance between supporters and those helped
- Never stop having fun at work
- Don't think any audience cant fall in love with your mission (ex: showing moving storis/images in a club)
Ive been skeptical of the idea that there are professional CEOs who could be swapped in for a founding organization's CEO.
When working with Neighbors Together around source of income discrimination, one thing that struck me was how widespread the LINC voucher was being denied.
Just thinking about the decision to split two paths on the Williamsburg bridge by type rather than direction.
I was talking to a friend last night about the different gears of civil servants.
A few weeks ago an acquaintance reached out to me asking if I knew anyone needing a roommate.
If budgets describe our values, then Americans dont believe in creating opportunities and accessibility for children.
Last year, someone gave me a spreadsheet of investors in NYC.
I'm not sure how you get someone to stop thinking in terms of optimizations.
Is management only really needed when navigating uncertainty?
When listening to Amsterdams Innovation team speak, they were very aware that data collection and analysis that focused on reported problems weighted priorities around those who were capable/willing t
I've always had an issue with the concept of delegating.